So what is this new thing called maskne? We call it Iso Enemy No.1!!
After going through one lockdown due to COVID we found ourselves in Victoria locked down again and stage 4 restrictions and masks compulsory to wear. So with all of this going we thought it was time to have a closer look at what is being called Maskne.
What is Maskne?
Put simply it is acne or breakouts from wearing a mask…..but the real question is, how does this actually happen? As we all know, wearing a mask creates a barrier which is important in keeping germs out, but the down side of this barrier is that it also affects how the skin’s surface works, how it breathes, pH levels, cell turnover and irritation from rubbing. All of this can leave your skin feeling quite dry and dehydrated plus with the added friction from the mask itself, sweating under the mask and any bacteria from our breath, it’s no wonder Maskne is a thing!
The combination of everything leads to congested pores…..like that time you wore a really heavy makeup and then sleep in it (we all have!). Our skin can’t breathe and the longer you wear your mask for, the worse your Maskne can get. So how can we help to prevent it?
What can we do to prevent it?
There are a couple of basic things we can do:
- try not to wear a mask for more than 4 hours at a time
- reusable masks must be washed daily and hung out to dry preferable in the sun (if it comes out!) as UV rays can help kill off bacteria
- avoid wearing makeup where possible and if you have to ALWAYS use a mineral makeup
- maintain a good skincare routine at home. Both morning and night clean the skin well and treat yourself with a mask once a week to detox.
What is essential skincare for lockdown?
Let’s keep it simple and help you break down what is essential skincare for lockdown.
- Cleanser – a good cleanser is a must and you should always cleanse thoroughly morning and night. It is important you find a cleanser that works for your skin type. For those suffering maskne, if you can find one with AHA’s, Enzymes or even Salicylic acid in it, this will help kill bacteria and give your skin a deeper clean along the way.
- Face Detox Mask – the perfect type is one that contains Sulphur or activated charcoal to help draw out any impurities lodged within the skin and pores. Try and mask 2-3 times a week.
- Retinol Cream – Retinol acts as a manager in your skin smoothing out the texture, keeping your skin cells turning over at the right speed, stimulates collagen and elastin and reenergises cells to work more effectively.
- Spot treatment – hit those pesky pimples hard and rid yourself of them once and for all. A good one we recommend is the Lira Ice Clear Stick for $49.
- SPF Sunscreen – always an important one.
So what next…..
With all this information that we’ve just thrown your way, hopefully you guys will be able to kick Maskne in the butt and beat it once and for all! The main things to remember here are simple, keep on top of your skin care routine, wash your mask regularly, get supplements if your diet isn’t the best right now and keep on top of your stress levels, you are amazing and need to make yourself a priority!
Reach out to us on email or instagram if you need any help!